Monday, August 27, 2018

5 Things #Authors Should Do (Maybe) from A #BookBloggers Perspective (Me)

I thought I would write a few things, I believe, an author should do from a bloggers perspective. I don't want to sound or be mean to anyone,  especially an author. I have the highest regard for them. They take us away to magical places and drag us into their stories like they were written with us in mind. I love them all. Even those that maybe haven't learned the craft as well as seasoned writers have. I have to put this out there, and maybe by doing so, an author looks at what they do just a little bit differently.


1. If you are sending out a physical ARC's - Sign it. No - if, and's, or buts, about it. SIGN IT! SIGN IT! SIGN IT! I can't tell how this irks me to no end. YOU are sending it!!! Make it personal for both you and the blogger your sending it to. This will help build a relationship that could be something wonderful for you both. Also, that blogger will have a more favorable opinion of you. Don't you want that? I know I sure would. By doing that you make the blogger feel like they are special and that you have given them something special - which you have - YOUR work.


2. If you are sending out physical ARC's put some of your bookmarks/notes/bookplates in there. I know sometimes an author is new and maybe doesn't have the swag and that is ok, send a personal note along. It is awesome when you do that. It makes us more likely to want to read the book. As you know some ARC's get put on that shelf that maybe never gets read. Stand out and take the little bit of time to do it. Build that relationship with a blogger. They will help you get the word out about your book. I know that is something that you want. Especially if you are a newer author.


3. If we are promoting you via Twitter/Facebook/Instagram and all the other lovely social media sites out there and linking it to you - PLEASE - repost it. Not only does it help YOU, it helps us by getting the word out about your book and the content we have written about it. It also helps people to read the post about your book. So it's a win-win for us both. It says "hey I read this", I'm the author and I read this post and so should you. It makes readers more likely to read it and be engaged in the material written about it. More exposure means more book love for you.


4. Send a blogger a private message and say thanks  - it means more than you know. This is something simple and not all ARC's are physical so if you are sending out your ebooks for bloggers to read. Send them a note to say thanks for taking their time (yes, ours is valuable too) to read your book. It means something to us bloggers. It means we are not alone and that the author is interested in what we have to say about their work. This is important in building that personal relationship with a blogger or many bloggers. They know you are watching.


5. Leave a comment on the post they did for you! This is one of the biggest ways to say thanks to a blogger. You took your time to read the post they did for you, on your book. Even if it was a pre-made post. They still have to fix it to their blog, get the word out through their social media, post about it, and that takes their time. You should take your time and comment on it. I can't tell you how much that means to a blogger.


So there are some of my insights on what authors should do from a blogger perspective. Just one little old blogger, that well, wanted to share with you, her opinion. I hope this helps some authors if these things are ever in question.

Thanks for reading!



Do you have any suggestions for authors? 
Please tell me in the comments. 


17 comments:

  1. Nice post, Mary! It would be great for just a little thank you or something from the author, especially if you read, review, and hype up the book on social media.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree Angela! It doesn't have to be a grand thing but just be nice. Like we try to be.

      Delete
  2. Very nice post, Mary! I like everything you had to say. It's so nice when an author does one or all of these things. It makes my day, makes me feel special, and more inclined to share their work in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally one of these things makes bloggers appreciate the time a author spends on them. Glad you liked the post!

      Delete
  3. This is a great post! I recently received my first physical arc and I was over the moon to see that the author wrote me a note and signed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How awesome! I love when they do that. Most of the time when I receive a copy the author doesn't sign it. That really irks me!

      Delete
  4. I hardly ever get physical ARCs anymore, but I agree with ALL your suggestions. Also, it would be nice if you have a FB page, if authors would "Like" your page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is so true. I usually always try to like their facebook or twitter. Sometimes I forget but most time I do. Some like love goes a long way.

      Delete
  5. I never say no to a bit od swag if it was available and I collect bookmarks which would be nice to get from an author. I mostly review ebooks now as US authors aren't going to spend a fortune sending books to the UK, and I don't blame them! Yes to retweets and comments on your blog post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love the retweets and comments they are a big plus for an author to me.

      Delete
  6. Lovely post Mary! I love a signed book, arc or even bookmark.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve never gotten a physical ARC from an author, so this was interesting. I have bought books secondhand online, and a few times, the book has come with a “thank you for buying” note and a bookmark. I tend to remember those sellers because they put in extra effort.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am on the Two Dark Reigns tour, and since we didn't get ARCs, Blake sent us all signed bookplates, which was really nice of her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well Mary I so agree with you on all that you've said above!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am nodding my head to so much of this! I love it when authors take the time to repost or thank me for a review or other promo that I have done. It's always nice to get a little personal note every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very well written. Nice job. Just a suggestion, for everyone (regardless of profession)... acronyms are only helpful if everyone reading it knows without a doubt what they mean. ARC means... advance reading copy? That's my best guess based on the entire article.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping in! I hope your find some books to stack your shelf with! =)
Please leave a comment - I love them!

 

Stacking My Book Shelves! Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang